Wednesday, September 25, 2013

7500 Miles in the 2012 Hyundai Accent

[wpvideo 3AdaggNe]


Photo1

For six months now I have been the proud owner of a 2012 Hyundai Accent sedan. Recently the odometer ticked over to 7500 miles. I think Ive spent enough time in the drivers seat to really understand everything my new car has to offer.

Photo5


Ive driven the Accent in perfect weather, and in snow storms. Ive even spent hours behind the wheel on the mind numbing trip from my current home of Bloomington, Ind. to my childhood hometown of Elkhart, Ind. Times like these gave me ample time to really ponder what I like about the Accent and those things that I just wished were different.


As a daily driver the 2012 Hyundai Accent is a strong package. An advanced powertrain is one of the most important things I look for in a car. The 1.6L gasoline direct injected engine is an excellent engine. The Gamma 1.6 is not an extremely powerful engine, but it is smooth, composed, and quiet. One of my favorite things about it is the subtle confident tick-tick-tick of the high-pressure fuel pump. I enjoy it so much that I sometimes sit there and listen.


Photo8


With such an excellent engine I was hoping that the Accent would be a bit tighter dynamically. The Accent is excellent around time with quick and light steering, but at higher speeds my confidence dwindles. Subcompacts arent known for their blistering speed, but I really want a small smile to creep across my face everytime I get a chance to push the limits a bit.


What is really surprising about driving the Accent is just how well it handles on the highway. Unlike subcompacts in the past where Id be exhausted after just a hundred miles I find it relaxing to drive Accent for hours on end. Comfortable seats and a well sorted chassis that absorbs road imperfections with aplomp makes the Accent great for long trips. An excellent 6-speed automatic transmission makes it easy to merge onto highways but keeps engine noise to a minimum even at relatively quick highway speeds.


Sweetening the deal is the fact that I consistently average fuel economy in the mid 40s which makes it the most affordable car I have ever owned. Over the last six months from very detailed records Ive averaged 33.2 miles per gallon. I appreciate the Active Eco feature that Hyundai has developed. Instead of a simple light that made you aware you were driving "ECOnomically" this feature truly changes how the engine and transmission work. This feature is especially important on flat roads because it easily has added 2-5 miles per gallon to my in town averages. Sadly it deadens throttle response and has trouble dealing with the hilly terrain here in Bloomington. 


Photo3


Everything isnt perfect in the Accent though there are still some features that I think are missing especially when other vehicles in the class have them. While certainly not a big deal the lack of a telescoping steering wheel has made it difficult me to find the perfect driving position. I really think even a subcompact desperately needs this simple luxury. While comfortable for two people which is perfect for my Fiancé and I, but passengers in the rear seat find it difficult to fit in the back especially when I am in my driving position. Im a little over 6 feet tall for a reference.


Lack of low end torque makes me work the engine harder than I would like here in hilly Bloomington. A little more torque placed lower in the torque band would let me climb hills in a lower gear. Im a certified fuel economy junkie and even if its one or two miles per gallon more per tank it means less fuel used and less pollution emitted.


Photo4


The last six months has been such a change going from a 200,000 miles Volkswagen Jetta to a brand new Hyundai Accent. Im very grateful to have a car that I can break in, and take care of from the very beginning. The car has been excellent for my lifestyle because I love to travel and drive, but being a college student I am always on a budget. Compared to the competition the Accent has a grown up feel that I appreciate. Unlike cars like the Mazda2 and the Ford Fiesta I wouldnt feel silly pulling up to an event in the Accent. It is a subcompact for young professionals like me who are just starting to build a reputation. I need a car that can take me there for less but I still want to enjoy it.


The Accent gives me the best of both worlds, while not a perfect car its cheap to own, cheap to maintain, yet gives me the driving experience of a larger car in a small compact package. No one would call the Accent sporty but it is confident enough to keep me amused behind the wheel. In an extremely competitive subcompact market I think I made the right choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment